The new Microsoft Surface Pro 8 is an impressive tablet and PC all in one sleek package. With a new design that resembles the Surface Pro X, the Surface Pro 8 is a device that looks as good as it performs. If you recently purchased a new Surface Pro 8, you’re going to need a few accessories to get the most out of it. Microsoft doesn’t bundle the keyboard cover or pen with the new Surface devices, so you’ll first want to consider whether you need either of those items. You may also want an external mouse or monitor for use at home when using the Surface Pro 8 as a desktop. In this article we round up the best Microsoft Surface Pro 8 accessories overall, in each category.
We start off with a quick look at pen options. You can of course go all out and pick up the new Microsoft Slim Pen 2, which has some impressive haptic feedback capabilities when used with the Surface Pro 8. However, if you are on a more strict budget, it might be working at some of the third-party options we’ve selected from Best Buy and Amazon. There are a number of pens that are designed for the Microsoft standard and still work great with your Surface Pro 8.
After deciding on a pen, we’ll do a deep dive into the best keyboards covers, external keyboards, mice, and monitors available for the Surface Pro 8. You may not need all of these things, but it’s best to consider your intended use case and look at all available options.
Best Surface Pro 8 accessories: Pens
- If you want to match your new Surface Go 3 perfectly, the official Microsoft Surface Pen is the way to go. Writes like pen on paper. Surface Pen is a natural writing and drawing tool, with precision ink on one end that now enables tilt and a natural-feeling rubber eraser on the other. Responds to an artists touch. Effortlessly express the finest sketches and lines with Surface Pen. Rest your hand on the screen of your Surface device, just as you would writing on a notebook.
- At under $30, the Tesha Surface pen has just about everything the Microsoft version offers. It features 1024 pressure points is designed for writing, drawing, and notes taking. Instant response, low latency, truly accurate handwriting reproduction. alm rejection technology allows you to rest your hand naturally on the screen while writing, no need wearing anti-friction gloves. Super convenient for kids.
- Ergonomic Design with palm rejection which allows resting your hand comfortably on the screen while working. Equipped with 2 buttons for option on eraser or mouse mode. With the 9.5 mm diameter streamlined tip point, this stylus is sensitive to pressure and tilt for making subtle shadow or creating delicate drawings. It is also multifunctional to use it for the slideshows presentations.
- The Dell Premium Active Pen features flexible, multi-protocol compatibility with select Dell 2-in-1s with a Windows Ink compatible display. Quickly launch OneNote by clicking the top button and write notes (even on a locked screen), capture a screenshot, or activate Cortana. Efficiently erase or launch the context menu with the side buttons. Install Windows Ink Workspace to customize buttons to your needs.
- Elevate your creativity with the improved precision of the HP Tilt Pen. Write, draw, and compute as naturally as ever with true-to-life feel creating a seamless and enjoyable working experience. Activate presentation mode to conveniently move your cursor, flip through slides, and highlight key points of your presentation—without the need for a clicker.
Best Surface Pro 8 accessories: Monitors
- If you like the look of a curved monitor, Sceptre has a nice option here. This monitor features a 2560 x 1080 resolution, which isn’t the highest for a large display, but should work for basic use. You can also use a VESA mount to optimize your desk space and workflow. At under $250, this is solid value for curved screen enthusiasts.
- If you like the look of LG’s 29WP60G-B but want a bigger display, check out this 34 inch option. LG’s 34 inch UltraWide monitor is a great pick if you want a relatively affordable ultrawide display. With a Full HD display and AMD FreeSync, you should be able to make the most of LG’s impressive display. This 34 inch LG monitor is HDR10 ready with Maxx Audio speakers in the bottom bezel.
Best Surface Pro 8 accessories: Mice
- Logitech’s M570 has a distinct and instantly recognizable form-factor. The giant teal trackball is easily spotted while the mouse is in use. If you do a lot of scrolling for work, and find a trackball comfortable, this is the best option by far. This is one of the most comfortable mice to use for long periods of time.
- The Logitech MX Master series is the industry standard for what a mouse should be. Ultra-fast mag speed scrolling, ergonomic design and app-specific customization make this an ultra-premium pick. With USB-C quick charging and the ability to work on glass surfaces, this is a mouse you can use anywhere.
- Another popular form factor is the vertical mouse design. This layout allows you to use the mouse in a grip-like orientation. Many users find this to be the most comfortable way to use a mouse for long periods of time. Anker also packs a fantastic feature set and battery life into this unique design.
Best Surface Pro 8 accessories: Keyboards
- Next-level versatility comes in the perfect pair — Surface Slim Pen 2 stores securely and recharges in the premium keyboard, featuring a large glass touchpad and luxurious, Alcantara material covering. Ready to pair with Surface Pro 8 and Surface Pro X. If you need the pen and keyboard cover, this is the best option for sure.
Those are our picks for the best docking stations, monitors, mice, and keyboards to use with your laptop. If it’s in your budget, a Thunderbolt 4 dock like the Razer Chroma dock will give you the best overall performance and is one of the best accessories for the Surface Pro 8 and the new Thunderbolt 4 ports. With super fast data transfer, support for multiple high resolution monitors, and built-in charging, Thunderbolt 4 is the way to go. For those on a tighter budget, many of the USB-C docks and dongles from Anker are under $50 and offer connectivity on the go. Let us know your favorite Thunderbolt or USB-C dock to use with your favorite Microsoft Surface device.